Friday 25 September 2009

CORFU HOSPITAL

Apparently New Democracy has invited the citizens of Corfu to the official opening of the new hospital at Kontokali, at 11am on Sunday 27 September, just a week before the general election.

Bravo! I'm glad to know it's finally open! Work started in 1996. The current website of Corfu Hospital (www.corfuhospital.gr/index.htm) has this to say (click on Union Jack for English version) :

"In the future it is programmed to relocate the Hospital in a new building installation in the region Kontokali in Corfu, which will contribute in the confrontation of increased needs and new challenges".

Looking for news on the web about the official opening celebration of the new hospital, all I could find was an item on YouTube from March 2009. One doesn't know whom to believe or trust.

In the end one can only believe the evidence of one's own eyes.

Like everyone else in Corfu, I hope a fully-equipped and properly staffed new hospital will open its doors to patients soon. The Corfiots have been waiting a very long time. They deserve it. It's a long way to Ioannina or Athens when you're seriously ill.

Watching the local TV channel on Friday night, one might be forgiven for thinking that this official "opening" of the new hospital is largely a matter of unpacking boxes of equipment before packing them up again- until such a time as the hospital is really in a proper state to start functioning.

UPDATE DECEMBER 31st 2010. I am receiving some positive reports from friends in Corfu that the new hospital is up and running and very impressive. Bravo! Happy New Year!

This is very encouraging

2 comments:

  1. And I had heard Oct 3, the day before. It's certainly coming along apace from the outside.
    By the way, *splendid* blog - you're really cooking. And ouch about the Greek proficiency. If we needed operational Greek? We'd all still be in 'Dunroamin', Acacia Drive, Kenton. Well, not YOU, brainy-pants, but all us other lazy grockles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...
    I've just been to the opening ceremony of the new hospital. I must admit I didn't wait for the official speeches as I'd been sitting on my chair for an hour by the time the Ministers arrived. But I was impressed by the building and the signage. The time for scepticism is over, I think, although there were groups protesting outside about the lack of qualified personnel.
    As for Greek, I guess I should know a little since I first came to Corfu in 1967. Like everyone else, I should know a lot more! "Operational" is "survival Greek" plus an ability to pronounce 'efcharisto' and 'gala'.

    ReplyDelete