Tuesday 15 September 2009

Theodorakis, Angelopoulos, DVDs in Greek newspapers


It's hard to keep up with all the CDs and DVDs which are 'given away' (almost) with Greek newspapers every Saturday and Sunday. When I go to the periptero (kiosk) I don't look at the newspaper or the headlines, I look at the CD or DVD included.

Last Saturday Ta Nea had the first of three classic movies by Angelopoulos (O Thiasos, Travelling Players). Next Saturday it's 'Days of 36', and the following Saturday it's Anaparastasis (Reconstruction) filmed in black and white in 1969-1970, largely in the village of Vitsa, Zagori. How those villages have changed, thanks to the support of the EU and the availability of skilled Albanian stone-masons, who have saved the day.These films are not easy to find elsewhere, but the Greek ones don't have English subtitles.

On Sunday another newspaper had the first of 5 DVDs about the life and music of Theodorakis, a cinematic autobiography.

I've also collected a stack of Westerns and thrillers in English. I hope I find time to view them.
I really wonder how the economics of all this works. So many extras every Sunday, magazines, books, films....and then a lot of unwanted paper for recycling (ie the landfill).

No comments:

Post a Comment