Saturday 13 March 2010

Thomas Hardy Night





Lat night I went to a Thomas Hardy event, a programme of readings, music and performances by The New Hardy Players, a fundraising event to support the Hardy Manuscripts Fund.

The highlight of the evening was Norrie Woodhall, who celebrated her 104th birthday in 2009. She knew Hardy. She gave a memorable rendition of her own poem "One Hundred and Four" and of Hardy's "The Voice":

Woman much missed, how you call to me, call to me,
Saying that now you are not as you were
When you had changed from the one who was all to me,
But as at first, when our day was fair.

Can it be you that I hear? Let me view you, then,
Standing as when I drew near to the town
Where you would wait for me: yes, as I knew you then,
Even to the original air-blue gown!

Or is it only the breeze in its listlessness
Travelling across the wet mead to me here,
You being ever dissolved to wan wistlessness,
Heard no more again far or near?

Thus I; faltering forward,
Leaves around me falling,
Wind oozing thin through the thorn from norward,
And the woman calling.


Norrie said you have to have had experienced the kinds of losses she has experienced in her long life in order to understand a poem like that. She is a truly extraordinary woman.

The evening had many lighter moments, like the performance of William Barnes' "A Bit O Sly Coortin'", by Devina Symes and Brian Slater,and Hardy's "Ah, Are you digging on my Grave" (Ann Gaudin and John Bowles) and the brilliant performance by the auctioneer, Mr Garry Batt.

Ah, Are You Digging On My Grave?

"Ah, are you digging on my grave,
My loved one? -- planting rue?"
-- "No: yesterday he went to wed
One of the brightest wealth has bred.
'It cannot hurt her now,' he said,
'That I should not be true.'"

"Then who is digging on my grave,
My nearest dearest kin?"
-- "Ah, no: they sit and think, 'What use!
What good will planting flowers produce?
No tendance of her mound can loose
Her spirit from Death's gin.'"

"But someone digs upon my grave?
My enemy? -- prodding sly?"
-- "Nay: when she heard you had passed the Gate
That shuts on all flesh soon or late,
She thought you no more worth her hate,
And cares not where you lie.

"Then, who is digging on my grave?
Say -- since I have not guessed!"
-- "O it is I, my mistress dear,
Your little dog , who still lives near,
And much I hope my movements here
Have not disturbed your rest?"

"Ah yes! You dig upon my grave...
Why flashed it not to me
That one true heart was left behind!
What feeling do we ever find
To equal among human kind
A dog's fidelity!"

"Mistress, I dug upon your grave
To bury a bone, in case
I should be hungry near this spot
When passing on my daily trot.
I am sorry, but I quite forgot
It was your resting place."

No comments:

Post a Comment