Sunday 30 May 2010

Gardening Blues





Unlike Corfucius, I don't usually suffer from the gardening blues.

Having just returned to Corfu from the Zagori (the upper part of rear garden is pictured above), I felt grateful that a Corfiot and an Albanian friend both take a great interest in helping. I'm not great shakes with a scythe, especially with a (convenient, computer-caused?) back-ache which limited my ability to cut down the long grass and weeds which shoot up at this time of year. To be fair, I was tackling it with a small sickle.

I shall miss it when I'm away (flying the day after tomorrow). I was lucky to be here for the Ambassador's reception at the Palace of St. Michael and St. George. It was a great opportunity to catch up with some old friends and to meet some interesting new people. It could almost have been a reception during the British Protectorate! There was even a game of cricket in the plateia in the afternoon.

The Corfu social life is hugely enjoyable, but most of all I enjoy the peace and quiet down in the Vikos Gorge, at the source of the Voidomatis River, or up in a closed Zagori courtyard or garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment