Monday 21 June 2010

Jim Potts: New Demos and Old Blues




Highway 61!

I've just discovered a site called "The Sixty One" (NB - Sadly NOW DEFUNCT - better go to MrHighway49 - my YouTube Channel), and I've been able to upload some samples of my songs.

You can sample some of my songs and compositions as arranged by the multi-talented Corfu-based composer/arranger/musician Raul Scacchi.

They're all very different.Why not start with "Where's that Good Samaritan gone?"

There's also my own interpretation and arrangement of "Fixin' to Die", a song that Bukka White recorded in the 1930s and I've also uploaded two old country/hillbilly blues from the 1930s, "Hello Stranger" a Carter Family song which I recorded in Nairobi in the 1970s as a duet with my old Aussie friend Tony Troughear (it's him finger-picking one guitar, I'm on bottleneck), and a great favourite, "Deep Elem Blues" which I recorded in Corfu. It was first recorded by the Lone Star Cowboys, the Prairie Ramblers and others. For Deep Elem, read Mandouki!

You can also listen and watch a selection on YouTube: go to MrHighway49 

Take a listen to our version of "Hello Stranger"

Here's the original Carter Family version of "Hello Stranger":


The following two photos I took myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment