Sunday 4 July 2010

B. B. King sings James (Jimmy) Johnson





.
Although I can't really sympathise with the sentiments expressed, I've always loved this song as recorded by B. B. King. It was written by another James (Jimmy): James Johnson and his recording is credited as by Jimmy Johnson and his band, featuring Hank Alexander (vocal).

I had a chance to have an interesting conversation with BB, the elder statesman of the blues, when he was in Stockholm in 2004 to receive the Polar Music Prize. I met him at the American Ambassador's, no less. I told BB how much I loved his recording and that I had tried to record my own version when in Memphis, as a modest tribute. We can but try.

BB's version has incredible intensity, tension and drama. Beware the green-eyed monster!

Don't answer the door, LIVE at Newcastle

No comments:

Post a Comment