Friday 13 January 2012

The Mind Has Mountains (Milton, Hopkins, Shakespeare)





John Milton, Paradise Lost:


The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a heav’n of hell, a hell of heav’n.


(1:254-255)


Gerard Manley Hopkins, No Worst, There is None:


O the mind, mind has mountains; cliffs of fall

Frightful, sheer, no-man-fathomed. Hold them cheap

May who ne'er hung there



William Shakespeare, King Lear


The tempest in my mind

Doth from my senses take all feeling else

Save what beats there...


(Act III, sc. IV)

"I got a tempest in my mind" (starts at 1.08)

"Mind Games"

"Got You On My Mind"



"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible".

T. E. Lawrence, Introductory Chapter, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"


No comments:

Post a Comment