Thursday 14 February 2013

Albert Camus, The Outsider and The Myth of Sisyphus


The Outsider, and The Myth of Sisyphus: these two books influenced me more than any others when I was at school, in the sixth form.

I was proud of the book I was awarded as the Governor's Prize for French Literature, for an essay I wrote about Albert Camus, in 1962. This is the book, a very special copy of The Myth of Sisyphus, which also included some of Camus's lyrical essays like Summer in Algiers, Helen's Exile and Return to Tipasa:





The conclusion of my schoolboy essay on Camus!

My school edition of The Outsider:



From Camus's 1955 Preface:






Photo Sipa Press, Rex Features

2 comments:

  1. so you and i were discovering Camus at about the same time? wonderful. and boris vian?

    http://www.newser.com/story/146163/first-line-of-the-stranger-is-still-translated-wrong.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link and comment. I'm not familiar with Boris Vian. Will explore. Merci!

      Delete