Wednesday 20 November 2013

Boomalli Aboriginal Artists Co-operative: Koorie Artists


Study Guide- including Fiona Foley and Tracy Moffatt (both included in the Royal Academy Australia exhibition).


TRACEY MOFFATT studied Visual Communications and Film and DVD Production. She is a photographer and film maker. Her earlier productions include Nice Coloured Girls, Night Cries: A Rural Tragedy and Watch Out. Tracey has worked closely with the Central Lands Council and other Aboriginal groups organizing photographic documentation projects and exhibitions.


FIONA FOLEY studied Visual Arts and has worked as assistant to the print maker Max Miller. She has also spent time studying traditional Aboriginal art in the Northern Territory. Her work has been exhibited widely and is represented in many private collections both within Australia and in London.

Some challenging works by two other members of the Boomalli Artists' Cooperative, from the time I lived in Sydney :


Catalogue, "True Colours, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists, Raise the Flag", 1994


Detail from Resistance II (triptych), by r e a

"I do not want to be pigeonholed as an 'indigenous artist'...I am an Australian artist. I know who I am, I know where I'm from, so these labels only work for you - you 'other' Australians, not for me - 'the Aboriginal' ". Australian Art Review, December 2004



Captain Cook Conman, by H.J.Wedge 




One of a pair of paintings, You Don't Know Nothing About Us, with text, by Harry Wedge


Cedric Talbot at Government House, Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment