Monday 10 July 2017

Reclaiming "Carpe Diem"




From The Guardian

"While usually translated as “seize” the day, the original Latin is sometimes rendered as “harvest”, “pluck” or “enjoy” the day. These variations tell us that carpe diem means different things to different people...My hope is to wake us up to the promise of Horace’s maxim so we don’t reach our final days looking back on life with regret" - Roman Krznaric
George Monbiot - "I’ve started reading Roman Krznaric’s Carpe Diem Regained: The Vanishing Art of Seizing the Day (Unbound) – and it’s brilliant. One of those rare books that forces you to ask what the hell you’re doing with your life".

"But at my back I always hear
Time’s wingèd chariot hurrying near;
And yonder all before us lie
Deserts of vast eternity".

(From Andrew Marvell, To His Coy Mistress)


Seize the day? Sorry, it's time for my siesta!



No comments:

Post a Comment