Monday 12 March 2018

Bidding for a Record; Blues for Blind Willie Johnson; Dark Was The Night...


Ebay! I've been trying for years to locate a copy of an original 78rpm record by Blind Willie Johnson, one of the great classics of gospel blues slide guitar, "Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground".
I'd used a short extract at the beginning of a film I'd made back in 1964. I have the recording on vinyl and CD, but three or four times I've made bids on Ebay auctions for 78rpm copies that have come up. This time I was determined to try and secure the excellent copy illustrated below. Others made bids in the last few minutes much higher than I was willing to go, so of course I lost it. It sold for US $1,106.79.

A similar copy sold for US$2500 in September 2013.

See also, John Tefteller

It's a priceless work of art. I'll have to be happy with my vinyl copy. It's the music that counts, after all.





Blind Willie Johnson - Dark Was The Night Cold Was The Ground

Nobody's Fault But Mine

Available as a 45RPM vinyl single - just $10

Available from Bim-Bam Records for £7:

BLIND WILLIE JOHNSON IT’S NOBODY’S FAULT BUT MINE / DARK WAS THE NIGHT (First ever 45rpm of this 1927 Rural Country-Blues classic – small hole in centre) COLUMBIA £7

The influential EP illustrated  below was first released in 1958:



Another great classic, by Cannon's Jug Stompers, Ebay auction starting price £1,695.00:







No comments:

Post a Comment