Thursday 1 March 2018

March 1st, 2018


Spring's an expansive time; yet I don't trust
March with its peck of dust.





From Winter: My Secret, Christina Rossetti (1862)


I tell my secret? No indeed, not I:
Perhaps some day, who knows?
But not today; it froze, and blows, and snows,
And you're too curious: fie!
You want to hear it? well:
Only, my secret's mine, and I won't tell.

Or, after all, perhaps there's none:
Suppose there is no secret after all,
But only just my fun.
Today's a nipping day, a biting day;
In which one wants a shawl,
A veil, a cloak, and other wraps:
I cannot ope to every one who taps,
And let the draughts come whistling thro' my hall;
Come bounding and surrounding me,
Come buffeting, astounding me,
Nipping and clipping thro' my wraps and all.
I wear my mask for warmth: who ever shows
His nose to Russian snows
To be pecked at by every wind that blows?
You would not peck? I thank you for good will,
Believe, but leave that truth untested still.

Spring's an expansive time: yet I don't trust
March with its peck of dust...






Very little was visible under the snow this afternoon.
Heavy blizzards continue (snowstorms from Siberia).

"I wear my mask for warmth: who ever shows
His nose to Russian snows
To be pecked at by every wind that blows?"



No comments:

Post a Comment